Spicy Tofu and Peanut Noodle Salad
This Spicy Tofu and Peanut Noodle Salad is a plant-powered salad contains two cancer fighters: cabbage and soy. While soy products, such as tofu, have been shown to reduce the risk of breast cancer, tofu is also a great source of plant-based protein.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 1 (16-oz) package organic extra-firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- 4-oz dry noodles
- 10-oz shredded cabbage
- 10-oz shredded carrots
- 1 organic red bell pepper, seeded and sliced thin
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- peanuts (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- ½ cup lite coconut milk (or other nut milk)
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 1½ teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 lime, juiced
- Sriracha (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread tofu cubes in a single layer on parchment paper.
- Bake 20-40 minutes, or until golden and crispy, turning a few times to cook all sides.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Peanut Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients, plus Sriracha to taste. Set aside.
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cool water.
- Return noodles to pot and added baked tofu, cabbage, carrots, bell peppers, and Peanut Dressing, tossing to coat.
- Divide the salad evenly among 4 bowls.
- Garnish with green onions and peanuts, if using, and serve.
Wrap tofu in a clean kitchen towel. Place the wrapped tofu on a plate and set a baking sheet or cutting board on top. Add weight onto the baking sheet or cutting board (i.e. a heavy cookbook, a cast iron skillet, or canned beans). It should be enough to press down evenly on the tofu and squeeze out excess moisture. Let the tofu sit for 30 minutes, then remove the weights and unwrap.
Gluten-Free: Substitute tamari for soy sauce.
Soy-Free: Substitute 1 (15-oz) can chickpeas for tofu. (No need to press or bake.) Substitute coconut aminos for soy sauce.
Nut-Free: Omit peanut sauce.
Mix ¼-½ cup plain unsweetened vegan yogurt with Sriracha for a spicy dressing.