Slow Cooker Turkey Chili’s can be very high in sodium, but here is a healthy low sodium Turkey Chili recipe that is great when you have some turkey meat left over. Make your own homemade spice mix and keep it in the pantry .This recipe has 200 mg of sodium per 1 ½ cups of Turkey Chili.
- 1 & 1/4 pounds leftover turkey meat
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1& 1/2 cup corn fresh, frozen, or no salt added
- 1 medium red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes no salt added
- 1 15 oz can black beans no salt added, drained, and rinsed
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce no salt added
For the Chili:
Add the turkey mix, onions, crushed tomatoes, corn, peppers, beans, sauce, and 3 tbsp of the chili seasoning mix to your slow cooker.
Cook on low for 4-5 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low
Serve in bowls and offer toppings like low sodium hot sauce, shredded Swiss cheese, finely diced red onions, sliced avocado, scallions, low sodium sour cream, and no salt added tortilla chips.
Spice Mix Ingredients
- 1/2 cup chili powder salt free
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
- 1/4 cup cumin
- 3 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp thyme(optional)
To make the seasoning: add the chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, onion powder, paprika, red pepper flakes and thyme to a mason jar.
Seal the jar and shake it up to mix. Keep the spice mix sealed in the jar in your pantry, where it will keep for a few months.