ASPARAGUS and CAULIFLOWER SOUP
Here is a low sodium creamy asparagus soup recipe full of antioxidants and folate.
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Cloves minced Garlic
- 1 Head Cauliflower cut into small florets
- 2.5 Pounds of trimmed Asparagus
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon of Chia Seeds
- 1 Pinch Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 teaspoons of lemon zest
- 6 Cups Low-Sodium Vegetable or Chicken Broth or Water
- Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. After a minute, add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Put the cauliflower and asparagus into the pot, add the cayenne pepper, and chia seeds. Cook for 4–5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour in the broth and bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the cauliflower is fully cooked, 5–8 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the soup to a blender, add lemon juice and zest and blend on high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. (Or use a handheld immersion blender to purée the soup directly in the pot.) Taste for seasoning and adjust with black pepper if needed. The soup should be thick but still light. If it is too thick, thin it with a little more broth or water. Any leftover soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS : per Serving (1 cup): calories 99, fat 4 g, saturated fat 0 g, cholesterol 0 mg, fiber 7 g, protein 6 g, carbohydrate 14 g, sodium 224 mg