Chickpeas are a rich source of fiber which keeps us regular and also full of protein, it is one of the healthiest weight loss foods. This recipe is for 4 servings at only 110 calories per serving.
SPICY ROASTED CHICKPEAS
Roasted chickpeas are tossed in an addictive spice combination of turmeric, ginger and black pepper. The beans are dry-roasted and then tossed in the spice-infused oil to ensure they get ample coverage. Eat these on their own as a snack or use as a topping for savory yogurt or a curry.
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas, drained and patted very dry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spread the chickpeas out evenly on a sheet pan and roast until crisp and golden in spots, shaking the pan occasionally, about 20 to 25 minutes. Turn off the oven and let the chickpeas hang out for another 10 to 15 minutes, checking in occasionally to make sure they do not burn. This will help keep them crunchy for an extended period of time.
In a 10-inch skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the turmeric, ginger and black pepper, and stir frequently until the mixture is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the chickpeas and toss to coat in the spiced oil. Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to a week.
PUMPKIN SPICED CHICKPEAS
Here is a Pumpkin spiced flavored roasted chickpea recipe that is vegan and gluten free and is the perfect snack on the go.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/3 cup pumpkin
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the chickpeas in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together the pumpkin, maple syrup, and spices. Stir well.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture over the chickpeas and mix until everything is well coated.
- Spread the chickpeas onto a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 60 minutes, stopping every 15 minutes to shake the chickpeas around.
Keep leftovers in an air tight container or a zip lock bag and take keep them in your bag as a ready to go snack when you get the munchies
Spiced Roasted Chickpeas
When baked in the oven, chickpeas get deliciously crispy and are the perfect snack to serve as a tasty appetizer, I enjoy them in a salad to give it that crunchy texture.
- 2 (15 oz) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Place a large baking sheet into the oven and preheat oven to 450°F.
- Using a kitchen towel, dry the chickpeas very well to make sure they do not steam in the oven.
- Place half of the olive oil into a large bowl and add the chickpeas. Stir in the rosemary. Toss to coat.
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven and add the chickpeas. Place back into the oven and roast for 20 minutes, checking halfway through the cooking and shaking the pan so that all of the chickpeas become golden and brown. Meanwhile, place the spices in the bowl and add the remaining olive oil6. When the chickpeas are toasted, remove from the oven and add to the bowl with the spices. Toss to coat and serve immediately or let cool and keep in an airtight container lined with a paper towel.
TIP: Save the chickpeas liquid for other recipes. “Aquafaba,” as it is known, can be whipped up, and it is excellent egg substitute.